Monogrammed Wine Cork Wall Hanging

I have one more great project to show you for using up some of your wine corks. 

Although if you are like me and you've already made more than one Wine Cork Board and/or Wine Cork Trivet you are running low on wine corks!  That just means it's time to open another bottle...I love it! :)

This project is much more a piece of art than a practical and useful cork board, but still a very nice effect.  It's a Monogrammed Wine Cork wall hanging.


Supplies you'll need:
- wine corks (a variety of sizes and colors)
-hot glue gun
-frame
-foam board (if your frame doesn't have a back)
-knife

The first step will be to glue the back onto the frame.  My frames were the $2 ones from Ikea, so the didn't come with usable backs.  I substituted some foam board that I cut to the right size and painted black.  Using your hot glue gun make sure to get a good seal all the way around the frame.


Then you will start laying out the letter for the monogram.  You'll need to cut about 7 corks into discs if you're using an 8x10 frame.  I usually get 4 discs per cork.  And depending on how you lay out your letter you may need more or fewer discs.  But make sure to have fun with this part, and add a lot of visual interest to the wall hanging, by using corks with logos on the ends, or that were stained by red wine.  I also used a champagne cork with a star on it for the top of the "C" for another special touch.


Once you have the letter laid out, you'll need to fill in all the surrounding area with corks that have been cut in half length wise.  I always try to keep the logos whole when I cut corks in half, so my wall hanging will be very busy and graphic.  Unless you are squaring off the letter in your wall hanging, you will end up with a ton of usual angles that need to be filled by very rectangular corks.  It's not hard to get the entire background covered...just filled in as many whole corks as you can fit first (using the best designs, or course), and then started cutting them to fit.  I ended up with one row on top of the "C" that is only 1/4 of a cork, but as long as the black is mostly covered you'll get the right effect. 

Once you have your frame filled in the way you like simply glue each cork down one by one.  You might have to make some adjustments as you glue, so keep all your left over cork pieces handy to fill in any large gaps.


I made a second wall hanging for my brother-in-law and used a slightly larger frame.  The process was the same, but I liked how I added a row of 3 cork discs to each end of the "K" in this version.  I think it makes the letter look capitalized and more like a traditional monogram.  I'll definitely use that technique again when I make more of these.


Of course these wall hangings could be used as cork boards, but I think they are too nice to cover up.  I added picture hangers to the back of each one so they could go up anywhere the recipient has a photo grouping. 

I hope you like this idea for a way to repurpose used wine corks into a custom wall hanging...and that you can find the time to make one!
Pin It

39 Response to Monogrammed Wine Cork Wall Hanging

May 26, 2010 at 3:43 AM

I like this cork project best of all! Must drink more wine so I can have one, too!

Anonymous
May 26, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this project -- it's so cool. I love it. I agree with the previous commenter -- I'm going to have to start drinking more wine! You make the coolest stuff!

May 26, 2010 at 9:35 AM

What a cool idea!
Thanks for linking up with Sugar & Spice.

May 26, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Oooooo I love this project!!

May 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Love the colors and textures! Very stylish and chic and it looks EXPENSIVE!

May 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Coming over from Blue Cricket Design - this is great! A really nice project and I like how you added the initial! Happy new follower!

Jeanine

May 26, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I just send this to my sister and she's going to make one this weekend! Thanks for the idea!

May 26, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Love the monogram. It's a nice twist on the wine cork - cork boards that I'm seeing around.

May 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM

WOW!!!!!!!! Too cool! Love it!!!!!

May 27, 2010 at 3:01 AM

I think this is an awesome idea. I featured this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com earlier. Thanks for linking it up.

May 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM

lovin the recycled wine corks ideas, that's great - must get more wine! Happy Transformation Thursdays <3

May 27, 2010 at 3:03 PM

That is so cute! What a fun idea.

May 27, 2010 at 6:15 PM

this is fantastic! i've been looking for a reason to save my wine corks, and now i have one!

May 27, 2010 at 6:25 PM

CLEARLY I need to step up my wine drinking efforts....LOL

May 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM

This is too fun! I'll have to try this.

Thanks for linking up to Saturday is Crafty Day!
Laura @ along for the ride

May 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM

This is really neat!! I better start drinking if I want to get enough corks! :) Found you on New Friend Friday.

May 29, 2010 at 5:41 AM

I love this idea! Will have to try it. I've been collecting corks so it's time to use them!

-heather

Anonymous
May 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM

How cute! I have to make one, I have been collecting wine corks and have a whole pot full.
I just posted a tutorial on making Scrabble tile pendants. Come check it out at: http://debbiesaenz.typepad.com
Blessings,
Debbie

May 30, 2010 at 5:40 AM

I just wanted to let you know that I featured you here:

http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/2010/05/sunday-spotlight-favorites-from-soys-29.html

Anonymous
May 30, 2010 at 5:41 AM

I am so inspired! I am definitely going to hit my sis up for corks, since my collection is lacking, and make one for myself. If I have enough for a pair, I'll make a monogram and a heart. I ♥ this idea, thanks for the how-to:)

May 30, 2010 at 4:51 PM

newest follower from Women Who Do It All :):) I am a new blogger and could do with some new friends! http://theadventuresoffamilyof5.blogspot.com

May 31, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Thank you so so much for linking up. My DH & I are total wine-o's so this would be a perfect project for me to tackle. Hope you'll link up again next week!
Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

June 1, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Thank you so much for linking up to the party this week!

June 1, 2010 at 6:50 AM

omg!...love it!...this is too stinkin' cute!...i have tons of corks and now i found the perfect project!...

June 1, 2010 at 8:00 AM

I just LOVE corks! This is great! Thanks for sharing at Anything Related! ~Bridgette

June 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Oh my goodness, this is right up my alley. We collect corks and have bags of them right now, just waiting for the perfect project....I might have to do this one!
Visiting you from Tip Junkie:)

June 1, 2010 at 10:14 PM

How adorable! What a fabulous idea! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

June 2, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I can't turn away a wine cork, I keep them all so I need lots of ideas like this one!

June 2, 2010 at 8:30 PM

LOVE this project... we'll be featuring you Friday- come on by and grab a button. :)

June 3, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Very cool! Subtle but effective. Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link.

June 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM

What a great way to switch up the usual cork board. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

June 4, 2010 at 1:09 PM

EEEK!!! I absolutely love it and can't wait to try it, along with the Tshirt dresses!!! following you from new friend friday
novicemommie.blogspot.com

June 4, 2010 at 7:34 PM

What a cute idea! Very clever!

June 11, 2010 at 12:54 AM

One of the best ideas I have seen for corks. I LOVE this idea. Thanks for linking up to tickled pink!
Holly

June 22, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Great idea!

June 22, 2010 at 7:42 PM

What a super awesome idea, I really like it!

July 24, 2010 at 6:09 PM

What a great idea! I have been saving corks and will happily drink more wine to get some more! Now I'll take a look at your trivet and cork board to see what else I can do. Thanks!
~Nancy

December 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Finally trying this! My "m" isn't turning out as great as your "c" & "k".. :-( Only did 1 row for the M and think it needs the two. Going to try one as a gift with a "H" and that should work out well!

EP
July 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I have to ask, how do you cut your corks? When I made my last corkboard with wine corks that was my biggest problem. I'm hoping there's an easier way to do it than with a saw!

Thanks
ep

Related Posts with Thumbnails