Wine Cork Cork Boards

How many of you have a bowl or jar of wine corks sitting around?  Well, we have had a collection going for about 5 years and I am finally doing something with them.  I have quite a few projects in the works now to repurpose my wine corks, and the first I'm going to share is two different ways to make wine cork cork boards.


Here are the supplies you'll need for either cork board:
- lots of wine corks
-unfinished wood frame (with back)
-paint or stain for the frame
-hot glue gun
-kitchen knife


The first cork board is my favorite becasue I haven't really seen anything like it out there.  I started by spray painting the frame black, followed by clear coat. 

While that was drying I started on the corks.  I knew I wanted to use the corks laid out on their ends instead of sides, so I started cutting them into 1/4" discs.  I tried a few different knives/tools to cut the corks and found that a non-serrated edge kitchen knife works the best.  Be careful, because some of the corks are harder to cut and they could slip out of your fingers.  I also like that using the corks in these discs allows me to use the champagne corks in my projects.  Those are all the slightly larger discs you see in the board.

Once I had a large pile of corks I started laying the out in a random pattern on my frame.  I mixed the real corks in with the plastic ones; and mixed in some larger champagne cork discs as well.  You'll have to work with fitting them in to get as many as you can in the space.  I also cut some of the discs in half to fill in the larger gaps.

Once I had the layout I liked I used hot glue to attach them one by one.  Be careful not to use too much glue or it will squeeze out around the cork and look sloppy.

And there you have it...a "Disc" wine cork cork board.


The second board I made is a more popular use of wine corks...and a little easier since you don't have to cut the corks.

I started with another unfinished wood frame, painted black.

I had a harder time arranging the corks for this board, and you will find that using the same length corks for each row will help you avoid large gaps.  I wanted the corks to fit as closely as possible so I fiddled with the layout a lot longer than necessary.

Once I finally found a look that I like, I again used hot glue to attach the corks to the frame.  You don't have to worry as much on this project about using too much glue, since the curve of the cork is better at hiding the glue than the flat discs.


So there you go, two quick projects to help you use up all those wine corks you've been collecting.

There will be more wine cork projects up soon...if I can find the time! :)

21 Response to Wine Cork Cork Boards

May 12, 2010 at 3:49 AM

Notices are attached to the boards by pin so that they are easily posted and removed.

May 12, 2010 at 9:08 AM

those are so cute! i am sure i can manage to find plenty of wine corks in my house! if not, i will just drink lots of wine this weekend, all in the name of a craft project! ;)
i am actually going to be making some wedding favors for a friends wedding with old knobs and new corks to be wine bottle toppers!

May 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Love these. I have to make my parents one for their bar. Thanks for linking up!

May 12, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Oooh, I like! I've got a cork collection slowly forming and will definitely try this project!

May 12, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I love this! I work at a restaurant and am always collecting wine corks! What a great idea!

Check out my post on wine cork votives!

http://liveitloveitcraftit.blogspot.com/2010/03/wine-cork-votive.html

May 12, 2010 at 1:16 PM

coming from santas gift shoppe party...love the cut disk one! i might have to make this for my brothers new bar in the man cave (hate that word!)! thanks!

May 13, 2010 at 7:03 AM

That is a wonderful idea for corks! I don't like wine (I know...I know) but if I did and I collected them then that is definitely a project I'd be willing to do. :) Visiting from the DIY Club!

May 13, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Love your wine cork projects, the colors and textures are so interesting together! I make reindeer from wine corks to put with my Folk Art Santas. I'll try to post about them closer to Christmas!

May 14, 2010 at 7:58 AM

I love it! And, yes, I have a large vase full of corks gathering dust. I found you on New Friend Friday.
-Mama E
www.homeandheartsblog.com

Anonymous
May 14, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Great idea!

Stopping in from New Friend Friday. You have a wonderful blog.

May 14, 2010 at 1:02 PM

So cool! Glad you found my blog and let me know about yours! I love the cork idea!

Katie P
http://foodwineandmodpodge.blogspot.com/

May 14, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Hi! Thanks for the sweet comment! And thanks for visiting my blog today!

Anonymous
May 14, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Hello, What a great idea and a good use of old corks. I especially like the ribbon socks tutorial, they are so adorable. Anyway, I'm your newest follower from the FF blog hop. I hope you come visit my blog and follow me back. You are so creative, I know I can learn alot by visiting here a lot. Thanks!

http://haupsmoneylite.blogspot.com/

May 16, 2010 at 6:07 AM

Hi- following from Friday Follow!!

www.justtryingtosavemoney.com

Nan
May 17, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I recently put out an unusual glass vase I love and started tossing corks into it and it is full....so I found this tutorial just in time!

May 17, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I LOVE these! Great idea!

May 17, 2010 at 10:33 PM

I just really love using the wine corks for stuff! Yours look really cute!! Thanks for linking up!!

May 18, 2010 at 9:03 AM

YES! i have a collection and haven't done anything with them yet! thanks for sharing these ideas!

May 18, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I never met a cork I didn't like...and I have lots of fun collecting (hic, hic...)

May 18, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Fun, Fun! I like them both :)

Thanks for linking at Lucky Star Lane!

May 18, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I'm a new Tuesday Follower! Your site is so cute! To find some great deals and Freebies Visit me at http://www.rockindeals4you.com/?p=3784 and sign up for my newest giveaways!

Related Posts with Thumbnails